The Berd game has many game options:
- Short path simple game – this is a basic Berd game played on the side of the folding board with a shorter path. This game lasts about 25 minutes (4 players x 9 tokens). The duration of the game can be shortened with fewer players and/or using fewer tokens
- Long path simple game – this is a basic Berd game played on the side of folding board with a longer path. This game lasts about 35 minutes (4 players x 9 tokens)
- Game with color protection – both 1 and 2 games can be played with color protection. Players can use colored squares on the board for protection from being captured by the opponents token. For example: Blue color player’s single token or unprotected tower will be protected on the Blue square. Other players can’t capture the Blue token on the blue square and they can’t land on the blue square if it’s occupied by the Blue token. The rest of the game rules are same as for the basic Berd game.
- Game with points – games #1, 2, and 3 can be played with points. Each color tokens have different weights/scores (10; 20; 30; 40; 50; 60; 70; 80 and 90), shown on the tokens. This option of the game provides more possibilities for moves. The winner will be a player who collects highest total score. In order to play this version of the game you need to attach stickers with numbers. There are lines on the sides of the token for even attachment.
- Game with hidden numbers – games #1, 2, and 3 can be played with tokens that have hidden numbers (numbers are not displayed outside, they are attached inside). This game is similar to game #4 with the difference that only the player who possesses a token can see the value of that token. This feature introduces more intrigue and uncertainty about end result of the game. Also this version of game allows players to bet.
- Berd game without dice – this game is quite different from the race game on the path, though the Berd playing concept is same. It is a two player game and played on a small two sided square board. This game can be played on 3×3 board with 5 tokens per player or on 4×4 board with maximum 6 tokens per player. The goal of the game is to collect more tokens than your opponent. At the beginning of the game players setup their tokens on base lines (the first line from each side) opposing each other. Players collect token(s) when crossing the board and finishing – passing opponent’s baseline. On their path to finish players can capture opponent’s token(s). Players move their UT (single token or Unprotected tower) one square at a time forward or lateral move. You can’t move your UT diagonally or backward. While you can move your UT laterally however you can’t do more than three consecutive side moves. After the third consecutive side movement a player must do next move forward. After the forward move you can do side movements again. You can’t land on a square occupied by your opponent’s Berd. A player can capture opponent’s UT by landing on the square occupied by UT. A player will recover captured token(s) from opponent’s UT by landing on that tower. In this case the player will re-stack tokens and place own tokens on the top creating a Berd. In order to play a token from the Berd you have to split the Berd and play a single token or unprotected tower. If there are captured tokens in the Berd they must be attached at least under one of your token. The game is over when only one player has active token(s) left on the board. Now players can stack their collected tokens and see whose tower is taller or who collected more tokens.
- Berd game without dice with color protection -this game is similar to game #3 in terms of the color protection
- Berd game without dice with points – this game is similar to game #4 in terms of number consideration
- Berd game without dice with hidden numbers – this game is similar to game #5 in terms of number consideration.
- Berd Team game – this game option can be played by two or more teams. Each player will play with his/her color tokens. The goal of the team to collect the most tokens (or points). Players of the same team can land on the squares occupied by teammate and stack the tokens in one tower. If there was a Berd on that square it will protect all tokens of the team. Team also can share the captured tokens. That is a great advantage for the team, since they can decide when and how many captured tokens to move. When finishing a token only rival team members will pay token(s). The game is over when only one team has active player(s).
Game with trading options: In this game players can trade captured token(s) with other players. All players will start the game with same count of tokens and some cash. The goal of the game is to accumulate the most capital (cash + value of collected tokens). Each token at the end of the game will worth certain amount of money predetermined at the beginning of the game. During the game players can redeem captured token(s) by paying cash or swapping with other token(s). The market value of the captured token will vary depending on the location on the board and a possibility to recover it. Because the captured token will have a fixed value when finished a player, who captured the token can negotiate higher price. On the other hand a player who wants to redeem his token may want to pay higher price because active tokens can potentially capture other tokens. Players can negotiate a trade only at their turn. After redemption a token must be started from the starting corner. When a player finishes a token, all other active players have to pay one token or pay cash for the finished token. Depending on the board situation each player will decide what method of payment is a better. The winner of the game will be a player who accumulates more capital => (Number of collected tokens) x Price + Cash.
Game with points and trading options: This game is similar to the Berd game#11 with one difference => when a player finishes a token other players will pay by token or pay the price indicated on the finished token. At the end of the game players calculate the total value of collected tokens + cash. The value of a token is a number/price on the sticker. The winner is a player who collected the most capital.
- Game with a goal to collect certain numbers – in this game a player tries to collect some certain tokens with same number on sticker (for example tokens with number 20). If there are 4 players in the game then maximum quantity of any number will be 4. The first player who collects all 4 numbers will win the game. If the game finished earlier then the winner is a player who collected the most of the specified number tokens. In this game players follow same Berd playing concept but for the finished token other players don’t pay tokens. Also players are not required to finish their tokens when passing their start/finish corner, – they can continue playing these tokens.
All the above game variations can be played with different amount of tokens. You can upgrade your Berd game by acquiring additional tokens and more colors => please click here.